Can I Use Medisave For Gum Disease Treatment?
Patients who visit Kong Dental Surgery often ask us about the available financing options we have. One of the most common questions that we receive is whether it is possible for them to use Medisave for their dental treatment.
If you are thinking about subsidising your gum disease treatment with Medisave, the short answer to this is that it might be possible if you require dental surgical procedures like gum surgery. However, there are conditions to this.
This article will quickly cover the following:
- What Medisave is and what it covers
- Whether you qualify for Medisave for gum disease treatment
- How much you can claim from Medisave for gum disease treatment
- How to claim Medisave for gum disease treatment
- Financing alternatives for gum disease treatment
What is Medisave?
Medisave is a national savings scheme that is managed by the Central Provident Fund (CPF) Board. The purpose of Medisave is to help you as a CPF member save for future medical expenses that you might incur.
Your Medisave account is topped-up every month by either you or your employer, depending on whether you are self-employed or a salaried employee. If you are a salaried employee, a portion of your monthly salary will be automatically set aside for your CPF Medisave account. If you are running your own business, the amount you set aside will be managed by yourself.
While it is possible to tap on your CPF Medisave account to pay for medical and dental treatments and outpatient expenses, it is important to note that there are restrictions as to what you can or cannot use it for, as well as the reason you have incurred those expenses. For example, it would not be possible to use your CPF Medisave account to finance clear aligners like Invisalign or braces treatment, as it is not a surgical procedure, and not for a medical purpose.
Being able to use your Medisave account to subsidise dental treatment can be a relief as some critical dental procedures like dental implants and sinus lifts can get very expensive.
Can I Use My Medisave For Gum Disease Treatment?
You will typically be able to use your Medisave account for gum disease treatment if you require the following procedures during your treatment:
- Flap surgery: This periodontal pocket reduction procedure folds back gum tissue so that your dentist or periodontist can remove infectious bacteria and smooth out damaged bone areas.
- Gum grafting: Gum grafting covers up exposed roots from gum recession that happens because of gum disease. Your dentist will graft gum tissue from your palate or another source and cover the roots of your teeth.
- Bone grafting: Bone grafting promotes bone growth in areas where your bone has been impacted by gum disease. Your dentist will clean out bacteria and place either synthetic or natural bone where there has been bone loss.
- Other teeth replacement procedures like dental implants: If you have loose teeth or lost teeth from gum disease, you might be recommended teeth replacement options like dental implants.
However, if you simply require non-surgical treatment such as scaling and root planing (SRP), this will not be covered by Medisave and has to come out of pocket. In this case, it can be good news for you as it might also mean that your gum disease is in its early stages (gingivitis) and is reversible. Gum disease treatments that Medisave will not cover include:
- Scaling and root planing (SRP)
- Scaling and polishing (SAP)
- Root canal treatment to drain abscesses
- Tooth extraction to remove infected teeth
- Sedation for pain management
- Medications for your gum disease treatment (e.g. antibiotics)
If you would like more clarity on what gum disease treatment entails, how much gum disease treatment usually costs, or would like to find out more about financing gum disease treatment with your Medisave account, you can contact your nearest dental clinic for more information.
How Much Can I Claim From My Medisave for Gum Disease Treatment?
Gum disease treatment can involve a wide range of treatments.
As mentioned, should you require non-surgical intervention, it would not be possible to claim from your Medisave account for gum disease treatment. However, should you require surgical treatments, the following is a good guide on how much subsidy you will be receiving:
- Bone grafting: The Medisave claimable amount is between $1,500 to $2,500.
- Gum surgery: Medisave can help you reduce the cost of gum surgery by up to $1,000
- Dental implants: Medisave can reduce your total expenditure by up to $950 per tooth.
To have a more accurate estimate on how much Medisave claim you can receive, you should head to your trusted dental clinic for more information.
How To Claim Medisave For Gum Disease Treatment?
Once you have decided to use your Medisave account to finance your gum disease treatment, the steps for claiming Medisave is really straightforward.
Step 1: Head to a dental clinic that has been accredited by the Ministry of Health (MOH) Singapore. Bring along your National Identity Card (NRIC) as you will be asked for it for verification purposes. When you are there, inform the clinic staff that you would like to make use of your Medisave to subsidise the cost of treatment. The clinic staff will inform you whether you qualify for Medisave and what the next steps are.
Step 2: Sign the Medical Claims Authorisation Form (MCAF). This form is provided by the clinic staff of the dental clinic. If you are making use of the Medisave account of your immediate family members, the Medisave Account holder will have to be filled and signed by them.
Step 3: Login to your SingPass account to check the balance of your Medisave account.
Step 4: Once the MCAF has been filed and your Medisave claim is approved, you will receive a Medisave Claims Statement. The Medisave Claims Statement will provide you with information about your claim as well as the name of the accredited dental clinic, the procedure that you have claimed for and the amount that will be withdrawn from your account.
Financing The Cost of Gum Disease Treatment
If you do not qualify for Medisave or do not have sufficient funds in your Medisave account, it is possible to finance the cost of gum disease treatment with other financing methods:
- The Medisave Account of an immediate family member
- Dental Insurance
- Instalment Payments with Major Banks
Medisave for Gum Disease Treatment Can Reduce Dental Costs
It is important not to put off gum disease treatment simply because it seems costly. Besides the widely available home treatments for gum disease, many procedures for gum disease treatment that might cost an arm and leg are Medisave-claimable. Make an appointment with us to check your eligibility for Medisave claims on gum disease treatment!
Make An Enquiry
Let us know your concerns and our clinic staff will get back to you in 1-2 hours.
Prefer to talk to our clinic staff directly? Call our clinic to chat with our friendly nurses at +65 6767 9502
Mon to Fri: 9AM to 9PM
Sat: 9AM to 6PM
Sun and PH: Closed
5 Early Warning Signs of Gum Disease You Shouldn’t Ignore
How do you know if you have gum disease? As a dentist who has helped treat many patients suffering from various stages of gum disease,...Read More
6 Signs You Should Visit A Periodontist for Gum Disease Treatment
You might be aware that a periodontist is a gum specialist doctor who treats gum conditions. You might also suspect that you are suffering from...Read More
Gum Disease Cost: How Much Does It Really Cost You?
Gum disease cost of treatment can vary from patient to patient. It is also dependent on many factors, such as the extent of your gum...Read More
Periodontal (Gum) Disease – What is it and How do we treat it?
“My gums bleed sometimes when I’m brushing, but they don’t hurt – should I be worried?” In Singapore, a whopping 90% of adults suffer from...Read More
Smile Bright, Live Right: 5 Ways How Gum Disease Affects Your Health
Written by Dr Gloria Kong Your smile does more than light up a room. It reflects the state of your overall health. While most of...Read More